Saturday, October 10, 2009

How To Submit Your Blogger Blog To Search Engines

After creating my blogs, I wanted to submit them to the major search engines in the same way as I did with my websites. I wanted to do a complete submission rather than just submit a URL that would have an unkown time for indexing, being added to the search engine directory.

After submitting my blog, it then had to be verified. This could be done either by inserting a meta tag generated by the search engine webmaster or uploading a generated HTML page to the root directory of the blog. For my websites this was easy to do as I could just FTP to my site or modify my home page. For my blog it was a different matter since I really had no access other than posting, so I thought.

Figuring I was not the only one with this problem, I surfed the net to see if anyone else was in a similar position. What I was able to finally determine was that on Blogger, I actually could modify my template, which in fact was my home page. By figuring out how to do this, I could add the verification meta tag required.

To submit your blog to Google:
Go to: https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount

You first need to create an account if you do not have one.
You then select "Webmaster Tools" to add your website. Use menu on the left of the page.
Click on the "Add a site..." button and then enter the URL of your blog which should be something like:

http://yourblogname.blogspot.com/

Now click on the "Continue" button, and you will be shown what is called a Meta tag. This is shown in the "Verification method" drop down box. If it isn't, select it.

You will see something similar to below:

meta name="google-site-verification" content="IfUqWNCzBwC2qU87G8nGrOoIFq5RTF-Zwel8NTF6rk8"

The meta tag is normally enclosed with <......./>. They have been omitted due to this blog's restriction but are needed.

The whole sentence above is your complete meta tag that you need to add to your blog template.

Now go to your blog and sign-in. You should end up at your Dashboard.
Click on "Layout" and then "Edit HTML" on top of the page. You should now see your home page template.

You will notice at the top that you have the option to download your template before you modify it. It is strongly suggested that you do this just in case something goes wrong.

Go to the HTML code and find the [ head ] tag . Using your keyboard create a blank line just below this tag.
Now go back to the webmaster page and copy the verification Meta tag completely, including the beginning and ending brackets <, />.

Go back to your template HTML code and paste the verification Meta tag in the blank line you had created. Click on "Save Template" and you are finished.

Finally, go back to the webmaster page and click on the "Verify" button. If all went well, your site should get verified.

To Submit your blog to Yahoo:

Go to: https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit

You first need to create a Yahoo ID if you do not have one. You can then add your website.

As was described for Google submission, you will also need to add a Yahoo authentication Meta tag to your blog template. Choose the option "By adding a Meta tag to my home page". As before you will need to copy and paste it.

I found one problem with the Yahoo verification Mega tag when I tried to add it to my template. The Yahoo Meta tag was enclosed with the brackets <, >. To be properly saved in the template the meta tag must be enclosed with the brackets <, /> in order to work properly. The end bracket was not preceeded with the / as required.

As before, sign-in to your blog, click "Layout" and then "Edit HTML". Download your template before you modify it.

Locate the tag [ head ]. Using your keyboard, create a blank line below this tag. If you had added the Google verification Meta tag, create the blank line below the Google tag. Copy and paste the Yahoo verification Meta tag in this blank line. Do not forget to add the "/" to the end of the Meta tag bracket so that it becomes />. Save your template and now you are finished.

On your webmaster page click on the "Ready to Authenticate" button. If all goes well, your blog should get authenticated.

By submitting your blogs to Google and Yahoo, you can keep checking your accounts and see when your blog does get indexed. For other search engines, you can follow the same steps as desribed for Google and Yahoo.

Other Meta Tags

After my submissions to Google and Yahoo, I got to thinking about other Meta tags I could add to my blog template (home page) to help it get better noticed by the search engines.

The following appear to be the most suggested Meta tags that should be used in your template:

- Description META Tag

- Keywords META Tag

When you create these Meta tags, insert them after any Verification or Authentication meta tags you may have added previously.

For help on adding website security, you can visit:

http://www.websiteprotection.net/

If you are disillusioned or struggling with your current internet marketing campaign, you can get help by visiting:

http://www.nichemarketingsecrets.net/

If you want a one-stop solution center with plenty of important and helpful information you can visit:

http://www.schembrionics.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment